Friday, January 10, 2014

I cook too!!!!

Part of being healthy, fit, trim and constantly active is knowing how to cook for yourself.
I've done endless amounts of shakes, played with different diets where one food group was to focus over others and now as I'm hitting my prime, it's all about portions, balance and self control.

So yesterday it was a long day, too many things to do too little time, but one of the things I always make time for is good dinner prep. I keep my home stocked with various food items, so I can always throw some healthy and filling together.

Yesterday's dish "Skinny Greek Yogurt Chicken" freaking delicious, very little prep time and was done in under an hour, boom. I got the recipe from a blogger www.lifeofmeg.com
It called for
1 cup Greek Yogurt (I bought 0% Fage)
4 Chicken breast
2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese

I added more of everything since I prepped 6 chicken breast

Now to stay healthy, anything that is dairy based try and get the 0% fat if you can, as far as Parmesan cheese goes, most grocery stores carry a reduced fat version. Then on your chicken breast its always a good idea to hand trim the excess fat.

To go along with the chicken, I recently met quite an intelligent and healthy man who turned me onto Quinoa, red quinoa to be exact. I buy it at Trader Joes and I have to say it's been a pleasant edition to my diet, it's also considered to be a super food see the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

Like rice and other grains that require stove top cooking, everyone has their own way of making quinoa.

I use
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup of red quinoa
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
1/2 cup yellow onion
1/2 mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil

bring the broth to a boil, poor in the quinoa let it simmer for 15-20 minutes lid on *DO NOT REMOVE LID UNLESS ITS BURNING AND MORE LIQUID IS NEEDED*
On the side cut n dice the onion and mushrooms then pan fry with olive oil
*add salt n pepper if you chose
Drain quinoa of any excess liquid
Add the onion, mushroom, and parmesan once quinoa has fully absorbed the liquid

You should be able to see little white sprouts if the quinoa has absorbed enough liquid

Finally a nice salad to give your body the macro nutrients it needs

I eat the chicken and quinoa in small portion, each maybe the size of my fist
Its the greens and colored vegetables your body needs, and its also part of keeping a healthy digestive system.

My salads are made in a big salad bowl and consist hugely of Hearts of romaine lettuce, sweet peppers, heirloom tomatoes and shredded carrots

2 Hearts of romaine lettuce
3 Sweet peppers
4 heirloom tomatoes
handful of shredded carrots
handful of sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup fat free feta cheese or gouda
1/2 cup coconut shredded cashews

Whatever you chose for a dressing to keep it healthy three things to consider, Calories, Fat from Calories and Sodium levels. High intake of sodium can lead to excess water retention which leaves you looking soft and bloated.

Keep up to date with my food blogs coming, as well as exercise to help make your 2014 the year of a better you

Jaxton Wheeler




No comments:

Post a Comment